Thanks to our generous private and public donors, the Sigur Center for Asian Studies is able to financially support GW students and affiliated faculty with summer and year-round research via the:
- Summer Grant for Asian Language Study in Asia
- Summer Grant for Asian Field Research
- Department of Education’s Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowship for East Asia
- Department of Education’s Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year Fellowship for East Asia
- Faculty Research Grants to Asia
Application details and deadlines for the 2021-2022 academic year and summer 2021 will be available by October 2020.
Take a look at what our summer fellows have been up to!
The Sigur Center prides itself on providing intellectual leadership on Asia at large. To accomplish this goal, the Center and its generous donors have awarded $3.3+ million to 318 GW student and faculty grantees since 2003 to study abroad, conduct field research, and complete language programs through its summer grants and the Department of Education’s Foreign Language Area Studies award.
The 2020 Sigur Summer awardees are:
- Rohail Salman (Ph.D. History), Pakistan
- *Zhongtian Han (Ph.D History), Taiwan
- *Abhilasha Sahay (Ph.D. Economics), India
- *Sylvia Ngo (Ph.D. Anthropology), United Kingdom & Taiwan
- *Jisun Jeong (Ph.D. Education), Bangladesh
- *Jin Yi Amoz Hor (Ph.D Political Science), Indonesia
- *John Wilmerding (B.S. International Affairs, Chinese)
* 2020 awardees who deferred until summer 2021 due to COVID-related disruptions