The Sigur Center accepts visiting scholars twice a year (see deadlines below).
Click HERE to download the Sigur Center Visiting Scholar Application Form.
If you are interested in being considered for a Visiting Scholar position, please submit a complete application by email, fax, or mail. We will only consider complete applications. A complete application includes:
- A completed Visiting Scholar Application Form
- A detailed description of the research project (one page). The research project must be on a topic relating to Asia. See below for previous research projects.
- A description of what resources in the area you will use
- A detailed resume or CV
- Two letters of recommendation
DEADLINES: There are two deadlines every year.
April 1 (Application period opens March 1)
October 1 (Application period opens September 1)
Projects can range in topic as long as they are focused on Asia to a significant degree. The Sigur Center’s areas of special interest include the legacy of colonialism and war in contemporary Asia; regionalism and multilateral institution-building in the Asia Pacific region; and the international consequences of domestic developments; but we welcome projects on other Asia-related topics.
Previous research projects pursued by scholars include:
- “Divergent Foreign Policy Choices of the U.S. toward Iraq and North Korea: A Perspective from Northeast Security Dynamics”
- “The U.S. Role in Taiwan’s Quest for International Participation under Improving Cross-strait Relations”
- “The History of Conflict and Reconciliation in East Asia”
- “Beyond Paradise Island in Search of Dream: An Overview of Female Migration, Policy, and the Impact of Intra-familial Relationships”
The visa application process will take at minimum two months to complete, and usually longer, so please keep that in mind when considering your start date. We will try to work with applicants’ deadlines, including those imposed by funding organizations, so please let us know in your application if you have any such requirements.
Proposed research terms are usually 3-12 months long. Please clearly state your desired term in your introductory letter, as described above.
Applications will be evaluated by the Elliott School of International Affairs and the Sigur Center. If accepted, a bench fee of up to $1,000 per month may apply. Due to the high volume of Visiting Scholar applications and limited office space, accepted Scholars may have to share desk space during their research term.
The Sigur Center does not supply fellowships, scholarships, or funding of any kind to visiting scholars at this time. Please keep in mind that you will have to secure funding from an organization, government, or provide personal funds before a visa can be issued.
We welcome applications from candidates all over the world. Once the Sigur Center has agreed to host a scholar, and the scholar has accepted the invitation,it is expected that the scholar will withdraw any other applications to potential host institutions